Friday 16 September 2011

Key to your child's success

Your boss dumps you with lot of work. You get frustrated and think 'What's the point? He hardly acknowledges my work'.

The same thinking goes through your child's mind when you fail to appreciate his/her efforts. A mother asks a child (assume he is just introduced about plants at school) to write about plants. The child is enthusiastic and starts writing with the minimal knowledge he/she has about plants. With high hopes, the child shows to his/her mother.
The first few comments from her, 'What is the spelling for 'breathe'?'..'you have not written about photosynthesis'(not even realizing it is too much to expect at this age).
The child's face immediately shrinks and does not even hear the positive comments that she gives at the end. Next time , when the child is asked to write something, it will surely think of a way to escape..

It is unfortunate that human brain observes the negatives first before the positives, which is the reason for lot of relationship problems.. 

Just change your approach and say a few good comments to impress your child before pointing to the mistakes. After all , it is your child and you are not losing anything. Developing interest in a subject is more important than doing it right. This interest will go a long way in their learning.

In my personal experience , while teaching Maths to my 6 years old son, I realized this. Initially I used to give him Maths worksheets daily at home. Since I know his knowledge level, I used to give him the next level questions, thinking that he has to learn more. As it was tough for him, most of the answers used to be wrong and he lost interest in Maths. I realized my mistake and gave him easy ones on one day. He was able to complete all correctly and was so excited to get a 'fantastic' sticker and showed to his dad as soon as he arrived. The next day , I was surprised when he asked me to give him 'Maths' assignments.

I slowly increased the levels and changed the style and included other subjects as well. He does them with more interest than he used to do before.

Motivation is the key to your child's success. Open your child's heart with that key and you will be surprised to see his/her growth !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment